Thirteen palettes, twelve eye shadow singles, eight foundations, three concealers, 2 bronzers/highlighters, and a mascara. No, it’s not the lyrics to a new rendition of the Twelve Nights of Christmas, rather the contents of my makeup collection—that I actually use (and no…not all at once).
With that much face paint and accompanying tools of the trade, I had to find a way to organize it all. My new system is working so far, so here are 5 tips to organizing beauty products:
- Invest in a vanity or space dedicated just for gussin’ up
- Stackable plastic cubes and storage containers are a great place to house your makeup—freeing up the medicine cabinet for other bathroom essentials
- Purchase draw dividers to separate eyeshadows, foundation, lipstick, etc
- Palette’s are great space savers. Many makeup companies such as MAC, Bobbi Brown, and Trish McEvoy let you customize your own palettes
- This may sound like a given, but you would be surprised at how many old products you have lying around and taking up space. Here’s a good guideline on the shelf life of makeup (via allure magazine):
- Mascara- 2 to 3 months
- Foundation (liquid)- 6 to 12 months
- Liquid concealer- 1 year/Stick or powder concealer-up to two years
- Face powder and blush- up to two years
- Cream blush- one year
- Eye shadow- three months (umm yea ok!)
- Eyeliner (liquid and shadow)- three months
- Lipgloss and lipstick- one year
Do you have any tips for organizing your beauty products to share?