This past weekend, I was lucky enough to take a ‘New York Fashion Week Review’ class at Make Up For Ever with the famed Makeup Artist James Vincent. In the class, Vincent duplicated some of the looks on the runways of Autumn/Winter 2012 New York Fashion Week.
To start, Vincent covered the look that strutted down the runway for Marc by Marc Jacobs. It’s simple yet powerful! To achieve the look, follow the steps below:
- Moisturize the face with a gentle moisturizer like Embryolisse (Suggested Retail: $30).
- After moisturizing, even out the skin with a light application of foundation and concealer (Make Up For Ever- Invisible HD Foundation and Full Cover Concealer. Suggested Retail: $40 and $30) only where needed.
- Apply red lipstick (Make Up For Ever Moulin Rouge. Suggested Retail: $19) using the finger to press the color into the lip for a stained wave of color.
- Finally, take a brown shimmer cream (Aqua Cream from Make Up For Ever in shade # 14. Suggested Retail: $22) with a clean mascara wand and run it through the brows. The effect? Fuller and slightly shimmered statement brows.
The final look of Marc by Marc Jacobs was a strong brow and a full, stained lip. There was no mascara, liners, blush, shadow, etc! Simple and stunning!
Vincent then took this finished face into the Michael Kors runway look. To achieve the Michael Kors final runway look, follow all steps listed above for Marc by Marc Jacobs and then continue with the steps below:
- Add slightly more foundation to the face for a more monochromatic finish to the skin.
- Apply that same lipstick from the tube (This step was intentional. It gives a look as if the models put it on themselves).
- Use the lipstick to draw, with a light hand, a half moon shape following, but just under, the cheekbone. Blend well pulling the color down toward the jaw.
- Finally, run a brown mascara (Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash in shade #3, Deep Brown. Suggested Retail: $19) over the lashes.
The final look is polished, classic and elegant. Acknowledging the lashes and cheek in this look, balances the intense red lip. Using the same color on the lips and cheek keeps the look from looking too thought out.
Give these a try! They’re a fresh take on the classic red lip and appear to be so effortless, they can be worn for day or night to look put together and sexy without being too fussy. Enjoy!
All Make Up For Ever products can be purchased at Sephora.com or at a Make Up For Ever location. Photos taken from InStyle.com