We had the incredible honor of interviewing Sonia Kashuk! She is a renowned makeup artist, creator of the Sonia Kashuk Cosmetics line carried exclusively at Target, mother, and savvy business woman. Sonia let us in on some of her beauty secrets, told us about her motivations, favorite products, and many tricks of the trade!
A Beauty Loft: In your opinion, what is the most important quality of great makeup?
Sonia Kashuk: That it makes the woman look better. It has to be enhancing and doing something to help the woman feel and look better.
ABL: What are some budding trends for Spring/Summer 2012?
- SK: Orange is the new black. Orange is a year round color that is a staple, but the emphasis is strong for this season. Orange has a new ‘seasonless’ quality and is being seen everywhere.
ABL: How long have you been practicing makeup and what has been the hardest part of building your career?
- SK: 30 years. The hardest part, in a weird way, is the more I know, the more I realize I don’t know. I am always learning.
ABL: What does your daily makeup routine consist of?
- SK: It varies. I have different levels. It can be next to nothing in my office when I’m trying products. I’m a huge believer in foundation- a little goes a long way. I also love blush for just a pop of color. I always do my brows and add mascara.
ABL: What is one beauty secret you have or use?
- SK: Doing something to bring the eyes up. Seeing how you can play with makeup to turn your negatives into positives.
ABL: Can you tell us about what inspires you when creating new products for your Sonia Kashuk Cosmetics line?
- SK: Women. How and what I can do so that my makeup is easy for them to use. I am my consumer. I use my knowledge of women and think about what we need.
ABL: Who is one person that is a great inspiration to you?
- SK: Two people: My mother. She’s had 5 kids and is a wonderful person. She does so much. Also, my dear friend Cindy Crawford. She has worked very hard and I learn a lot through seeing her success.
ABL: When did you or when will you know you have found success in the beauty industry?
- SK: Getting the CEW award was really an amazing experience for me. [In the fall of 2003, Sonia was presented with the prestigious Cosmetic Executive Woman Achiever Award in honor of her many accomplishments and unrelenting dedication. Source: SoniaKashuk.com] Success, I find, is when people talk to me about enjoying my products; the feedback from a woman who is happy.
ABL: What is your favorite makeup brush and what do you use it for?
- SK: My Sonia Kashuk Small Multipurpose Powder Brush (Available at Target.com. Suggested Retail: $10.79). Touchups, powder, shadow, I use it for everything.
ABL: Can you offer one tip to women with problematic or acne prone skin?
- SK: Try your best to use very little product on your skin. Leave it as clean as possible. Skincare is essential and only use color products on your face when you need it.
ABL: What is your secret for achieving the perfect red lip?
- SK: Understanding that it shouldn’t be overly defined. The red lip is easier to wear today then it has been in the past. Use a finger and blur the edges of the lip line, that makes is softer and more easily attainable.
ABL: Finding the right shade of red can be very tricky, can you offer any tips on finding the right shade when considering blue-red vs. orange-red?
- SK: This is what caused me to develop my cosmetics line! If you are shopping for a red lipstick, look for a brand that has one or two. Smaller brands will have one red that looks good on everybody. We have one red lip crayon and we have yet to find a woman it doesn’t look good on.
ABL: What challenges have you had to overcome by being a mother and a successful woman in the beauty industry?
- SK: I’m a perfectionist and a control freak, but something has to give. It’s impossible to be good at everything. Some days I’m great as a mom, some days I’m great at work. I do the best I can do. It is hard because of my need to be on top of my game.
ABL: What is your favorite product from your line and why?
- SK: I’m so passionate about what I do and my brand, but one product I am really proud of is my foundation. The skin looking flawless is so important and one of the hardest things to get a woman to love is foundation. Foundation makes a difference, but it is the hardest consumer attraction.
ABL: Do you ever have a hard time figuring out you own look or makeup routine?
- SK: There are times I have been photographed and I see things that worked and times I see things that didn’t. I recommend taking pictures of yourself to see how you look. Its a truer sense of how you actually look then looking in the mirror.
Final note: “To all the ABeautyLoft readers: Don’t ever discredit the power and quality of cosmetics found in the mass market. Be careful where you go. I have brought the quality of prestige [into the mass market] without the price.” -SONIA KASHUK
Sonia spoke with us with such humility and kindness; it was a true pleasure. It isn’t often that a woman who has achieved such success and notoriety is so down to earth and sweet. A giant ‘Thank You’ to Sonia for giving us the time for this interview. We will forever be fans and supporters! Below, you can find some products that are Sonia’s recommended favorites, as well as a few of our favorites! All Sonia Kashuk Products can be found at Target and Target.com.
SK Small Multipurpose Powder Brush; SK Perfecting Luminous Foundation; SK Lip Crayon in Rosey Nude; SK Synthetic Crease Brush