I could take or leave summer. My ideal climate is California weather—80 degrees and no humidity (a fear of earthquakes is enough to keep me in Jersey). East coast summers can be brutal…hot and humid. One of the main reasons why I don’t like summer weather is it can be almost impossible to keep a freshly made up face from turning into a sweaty mess.
That’s why I asked Lifestyle Expert and Makeup Artist, LeAura Luciano, how to avoid the dreaded makeup meltdown. Luciano, who has worked with celebrities such as Zoe Saldana and Amanda Seyfried, provides 5 tips to keeping your makeup fresh all day:
1. Use a makeup primer to help smooth out dry patches and calm flaky skin. Your foundation will go on more evenly and last longer. If your skin is oily or acne prone, look for an oil-control primer. Wait a few minutes before applying your makeup to allow the primer to “set” so it doesn’t ball up.
2.Use waterproof eyeliner, shadow, and mascara. Waterproof formulas resist humidity, sweating, and greasy skin, so your makeup is less likely to smudge and smear. No more raccoon eyes!
3. Use oil blotting papers. If you reapply powder several times a day, it can mix with your skin’s natural oils, eventually looking cakey and creased after several hours. Instead, use oil blotting sheets to control shine. In a pinch, you can use Kleenex or even clean toilet-seat covers. But don’t use toilet paper to blot—the fibers will stick to your face.
4. Use brushes for a boost of color. If you have a last-minute meeting or date after work and you don’t have time to reapply your face from scratch, you can reactivate your eye shadow and blush with just the brushes. Your skin oils will mix with the pigment and reactivate the color, so you may not need to add more color.
5.Don’t forget the SPF! Keep your skin beautiful & protected easily with new ways to apply your sunscreen.
Some of our favorite melt proof products from A Beauty Loft and LeAura Luciana
- NP Set Calming Foundation Primer "If you’re suffering from sunburn or just get red easilty, try a primer with a green tint like NP Set Calming Pre-Foundation Primer. The color minimize redness, with the addition of aloe and cucumber extracts to leave skin feeling cool and refreshed – perfect for after a long day in the sun!" notes Luciana. $29.00
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion It's a cult favorite for a reason. This stuff keeps your eye makeup in place all day---even after the gym! No creasing. No fading. $20.00
- Makeup Forever Aqua Shadow These melt proof makeup sticks are perfect for the summer. Highly pigmented and easy to apply, these are great for a quick smokey eye. $20.00
- Sonia Kashuk® Proudly Pink 5 pc Brush Set "Keep spare brushes in your bag at all times for emergency touch-ups. I like Sonia Kashuk Proudly Pink 5 pc Brush Set," remarks Luciana. "I would keep a blush and eye shadow brush in my makeup bag and leave the others at home." $14.99
- Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Finish Skip the powder this summer and get a natural skin finish with this setting spray. Spray on before makeup and then again after to prevent shine and keep makeup fresh all day! $29.00
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner I love this stuff. I have trouble wearing eyeliner (oily lid girl problems) and this stuff goes on easy, delivers the clean look of liquid eyeliner, and stays all day. $22.00
- Proactive Oil Control Blotting Sheets "These 100% natural-fiber papers absorb oil and leave your face with a beautiful matte finish,"says Luciana. $11.00
- La Fresh Sunscreen SPF30 "I like La Fresh Wipes," reveals Luciana. "The biodegradable individually-wrapped moistened towelettes are infused with sunscreen so all you have to do is wipe over exposed areas for SPF coverage. Plus, they are great to have on-hand (without taking up much space in a purse) during the summer heat." $14.99