While you’re busy cheering on the USA red, white and blue, make sure your digits are in tiptop condition. Follow our step-by-step guide to achieve a gold medal-winning manicure this summer!
The ultimate at-home manicure in 12 simple steps:
- Remove old nail polish.
- Trim, cut and file nails to your favorite length.
- Shape your nails, we recommend square or round tips.
- Soak hands in warm, but not hot, water for 3-5 minutes. Add a gentle, liquid soap to help soften nails.
- Apply cuticle oil and lotion to dry hands.
- Push, but never cut cuticles using a cuticle stick.
- Exfoliate hands and wash thoroughly.
- Moisturize dry hands.
- Apply a base coat.
- Paint nails with two coats of your favorite polish.
- Finish with a top coat for maximum protection.
Looking for some additional tips and tricks to ace your mani? Use the suggestions below, and you’ll achieve salon status!
Tips and tricks for the best at-home manicure:
- A popsicle stick works just as well as a cuticle stick, but be careful since the surface area is larger
- Homemade scrub – here are a few common recipes:
- Olive oil and raw sugar
- Baby oil and sea salt
- Almond oil and dark brown sugar
- Rough edge of a matchbook can substitute for a nail file, if one isn’t readily available
- Olive oil can be used in place of cuticle oil
- For longer lasting polish, keep colors in a cool area like the refrigerator
- Cotton swabs are great for hard-to-reach nooks when removing polish
Not sold on pampering yourself? We’re all about heading to the salon, as long as these three rules are folded! We’re definitely not heading home with athletes’ foot or hands!
- Make sure your salon is licensed by the state health department.
- Direct your manicurist – don’t allow cuticles to be cut.
- BYOCE: Bring your own clean equipment. This is the ultimate way to ensure you go home with healthy, happy nails!
A trip to the spa is always lovely, but we’re definitely sold on these gold-winning guidelines. Save up your spa budget for a fun accessory this month and follow our advice for a brilliant manicure.
Article courtesy of Cutex