I constantly get asked who does my color or what color I use (it is very obvious that my hair is colored!), so I decided to show you all what I use and go through my whole routine.
To start, I would like to note that I have naturally dark blonde hair (for you hair dressers out there- I have a level 7N natural color) so achieving this rich red color is fairly easy and does not require bleaching or anything more then single process permanent and demi-permanent color. I buy all my supplies at Sally’s Beauty Supplies, but I have also gotten color from CosmoProf in the line Colorance by Goldwell. Below is my supply list:
- Ion Color Defense After-Color Sealer 1oz ($2.79)
- Clairoxide Pure White 20 Volume Creme Developer 8 oz. ($3.49)
- Clairol Premium Crème Demi Permanente Developer ($4.49)
- Salon Care Professional Leakproof Applicator Bottle With Straight Tip ($1.50)
- L’Oreal Excellence HiColor Copper H7 ($6.49)
- Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color 6RC Dark Copper Blonde ($4.99)
- Sally Black Extra-Wide Jumbo Tint Brush ($1.39)
- Colortrak PinkTint Bowl ($2.39)
This list of supplies is everything I use to color my hair. It costs about $30 (less then $25 if you have a discount card at Sally’s) and I can color my hair for 3-4 months with this amount. I spend about $8-10/month to color my hair! Now, I will walk you through the steps, but let me preface that this is not a quick process! (Disclosure: I would like to note that I am NOT a licensed cosmetologist and this is simply the routine I use on my hair. Please consult a licensed cosmetologist for exact directions, measurements and precautions.)
- In the mixing bowl, use the black brush to mix the 20 Vol Permanent developer with the Loreal HiColor Copper at the ratio listed on the box for your hair type. Stir well.
- Using the pointed end of the black applicator brush, part hair in a straight line (I start at the top of my head) and apply mixed color to your roots only.
- Working fairly quickly, repeat Step 2 until your roots are covered on your whole head.
- Allow the color to process on your roots for the directed amount of time according to the bottle. I allow mine to process about 30 minutes.
- Run head under warm water, massaging roots.
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
- Dry hair with a blow dryer. Do not be concerned with style, this step is simply to dry the hair.
- In the white bottle, mix the Demi processor with the Ion Demi Permanent Color 6RC at the ratio listed on the box for your hair.
- Place finger over the tip of the bottle and shake very well. (Be careful when removing your finger from the tip, it may shoot color out.)
- I always squirt a bit of the color out of the bottle to clear the tip of any product that may not have mixed well.
- Apply this mixture all over your head and allow to process for the designated time on the box.
- Run head under warm water, massaging the whole head.
- Shampoo and rinse.
- Towel dry hair.
- Apply the Ion After-Color Sealer (this is a deep conditioner) and leave on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse and style as usual.