Hello ABL readers.. Its been such a hectic season for me but I have not forgotten about you all. I hope your enjoying the blog!!
When you think ART do you think Makeup?? Most people think painting, drawing or sculpture but what about your makeup!!! I always tell my clients “Makeup is an Art” , once you master it your makeup will look flawless. Smoky eyes are an art and is a great way to dress up your day or night. Green is the season too!!
(Before I go on, Smoky can also be spelled smokey..just thought I’d share that)
What is a smoky eye?
Smoky Eye makeup = A clouded effect with darkest color at lash line and getting lighter as you work up toward brow bone, each layer well blended and disappearing into the next.
Smoky eye can be done with any color you wish. Green shown in above photo since its the color of the season and looks good with any eye color(I love an emerald or an olive green).
Without the use of key techniques a smoky eye can go horribly wrong. Techniques such as using the right color palette, Using the correct brushes, how you place the shadow and how you blend. (please do not use q tips for blending, invest in a good set of brushes)
- Take your darkest shadow and gently place it over your eyelid. (no further up than your eye crease). Brush: Flat hair brush will lay the color down nicely.
- Take a pointed brush/pony tail style and gently take your second color into the crease (windshield wipe motion). A light taupe was used to blend in with the green. The idea is you want to create dimension with the use of color and shading. Remember your colors should compliment each other.
- Take a smudge-able black eyeliner pencil and tightly apply it to your upper lash line. (black is the best for definition) Using small short strokes from outer corner to inner corner. This will prevent any gaps or sloppy eyeliner. Use a smudge brush to blend it into the eye.
- Take your lightest color and gently place into brow bone.
- Now its time for under the eye. Take your black liner that you just used for the top lids and add it into rim “waterline”(If you do not want to place it into your water line that’s ok) Take your darkest green and smudge it under the eye..going from out eye to inner eye. Brush: smudge brush with short hairs.
- For added highlight in the tear duct area.. add a gold its very flattering and will create more dimension. Top and bottom!( see photo)
- Add some mascara. For a more dramatic look add lashes.!
A good tip: whenever you are working with a dark smoky eye makeup, I find its better to do your foundation last this way all the fall-age from the shadow won’t ruin your face makeup.
This diagram should help you with your shadow placement. The smoky eye photo here is a subtle smoky eye.. you can definitely punch it up just by adding more and deepening the colors. Sometimes dampening the brush will make the pigment pop even more.
* Not every step shown in eye makeup photo.
Happy Smoky eyes!!! Try it for St patty days..!!