Happy hour perks up just about everybody–even your hair. According to CURLS founder, Mahisha Dellinger, curly hair needs it’s own special cocktail of ingredients to have them at their best. She created CURLS, a line of products specially formulated for the needs of all types of curly hair.
Before CURLS, Dellinger didn’t always have a warm and fuzzy feeling towards her hair. ”In 1 word – self-hatred,” says Dellinger when recalling how she felt about her natural texture. “I did everything i could to remove my curl pattern. I relaxed my hair, pressed it straight and blow dried it, regularly.” What changed for Dillinger? “I decided to embrace my natural texture, but during this process I realized how extremely challenging it was to find hair care products for my hair type.” When Dellinger couldn’t find products to meet the unique challenges of her hair, she took matters into her own hands and made CURLS history.
CURLS, is an organic hair care line that is mixed especially for a person’s unique curl pattern. “This is the focus for CURLS…to create options for all types of curly hair. We understand that this isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ market…we must deliver options. CURLS offers 7 different stylers just for this reason,” says Dellinger.
When asked what’s the biggest mistakes women with curly hair make? Dillinger answers,”One, styling with heat too often (doing so will permanently damage your curl pattern and two, not moisturizing daily…this is paramount!” She also shares how to keep you curls looking their best during the hot summer months:
1. Before you enter a pool, lake, ocean, or any body of water, drench your hair with water and apply a coat of conditioner to the hair. This water/conditioner mixture will fill up the gaps in your hair shaft and act as a barrier from the chlorinated water. Follow up with a little club soda; it makes for a good post-pool rinse. I recommend wearing a swim cap as often as possible. Although most hate wearing them for many reasons – it’s comfortable, unattractive, or it never stays on, etc. – using a cap, that securely protects the hair, is always the best option.
2. If there is a time to be extra gentle with your hair, it is now. Treat your hair like a fine silk blouse. Purchase a gentle hydrating shampoo. ALWAYS follow up with a rich conditioner. Shampoo gently – massage a small amount of shampoo into scalp, rinse well. Use a quality conditioner with moisturizing ingredients to deep condition her hair on a weekly basis during the summer. Look for ingredients such as wheat germ, jojoba oil, coconut oil, silk amino acids, etc.
3. Over-shampooing and under-conditioning is a common culprit to dry and frizzy hair…especially in the summer months. Shampooing more than 1x a week is not recommended. On “shampoo-less” days, simply do a conditioning rinse – rinse hair to remove styling products (this is when using the right products that are water soluble come in).
4. Avoid products that contain synthetic oils such as mineral and/or petrolatum oil, as they further dehydrate your hair. Also avoid products that contain drying alcohol, such as hair spray, mousse and some gels. Instead, opt for a finishing lotion.
5. Pay special attention to the ends of your hair; after all, they are the oldest part of the hair. Mix a bit of a conditioner with a natural oil, apply, and comb through ends; leave in for extra protection.
6. Hydrate your curls DAILY…this is very important!
You can find CURLS Target, CVS, Rite-Aid, and other retail stores across the country. For more hair care tips and CURLS product information, visit http://www.curls.biz/.
“I learned, over time, how unique and gorgeous natural hair is,” says Dellinger. “I haven’t look back since!”
And just for A Beauty Loft readers, CURLS is giving away one of their best selling products, Curl Gel-ls’c – Curl Serum, a $25 value! For a chance to win, fill out form below and leave a comment about how you keep your curly hair looking it’s best! Contest runs from 12:01 AM EST Wednesday, July 18, 2012 to Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:01 AM. Open to residents of the United States of America.
a Rafflecopter giveaway