If you follow my blog posts on Philly.com, I talked last week about Dove’s new ‘Love Your Curls’ campaign. I do love my curls, but I’m not ready to throw out my blow dryer just yet. Lately, I’ve been into subtle waves and discovered some great products that really work for this look.
1. Before blow drying I’ve been loving Aveda’s Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight. It’s a creme that’s applied to wet hair before blow drying that helps straighten your hair and curls get looser after continued use. It definitely helps in an easier, smoother, and straighter blowout!
2. I also apply Kerastase Elixir Ultime Hair Oil on my hair before blow drying for softness and shine!
3. Once hair is dry and curled, I use Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray to add volume and texture
TIP: To keep the style for a few days, I sleep with my hair in a top knot!
Happy December everyone! I know it’s been a couple of weeks since my last update, but that is because I’ve been working on some great projects and of course, testing out new beauty products!
First up, is a new multipurpose oil that I’ve been using that’s is perfect for this colder weather. It’s called Rejuvenique Oil Intensive by Monat and it’s formulated for both hair and skin. What separates it from the other beauty oils on the market? It contains Abyssinian Oil, which mimics the body’s own natural oils to replenish and repair, making it the perfect anti-aging product.
My hair has been extremely dry and difficult to manage lately due to not only the cold weather but because I’m over due for a hair trim. After warming a couple of drops of Rejuvenique in-between my hands, I apply it throughout my hair, only concentrating from the ear and down, concentrating on the ends. It does a great job moisturizing and softening my hair after blowdrying, without weighing down my hair. As a matter of fact, I was pleasantly surprised that I stretched my blowout even longer this week to 6 days.
It’s also great for your cuticles—I keep the bottle by my bed and apply it to my cuticles before I go to sleep. Love a hard working/multi-tasking beauty product!
There’s a ton of different ways to really utilize this revolutionary oil. From deep hair conditioning treatments to skin softening, get more details at #Rejuveniqe www.monatglobal.com!
Full Disclosure: Some of the products in this post were provided by the manufacturer for consideration. For more information on my disclosure policy, please see my disclaimer page
I’ve grown to really appreciate (dare I say love???) my curls now,but my curl routine could still use some help. My previous routine consisted of wash, condition, and add mousse—which initially does produce shiny bouncy curls. Only problem is that by the end of the day, my hair looked dry and curls fell flat.
So after what seemed like a whole afternoon of youtube browsing, I came across the channel of SunKissAlba…a gorgeous girl with gorgeous hair and a fun personality. After viewing about 2 years worth of videos in a couple of hours, I was pumped to try her way of doing curls—add moisture, then moisture, and more moisture.
With my new curl information fresh in my mind, I headed off to Whole Foods, straight to the beauty section. After standing in front of the hair care aisle for a good 45 min…looking at all the products, comparing the products, picking up 5-putting back 2 (my normal beauty product shopping routine) I settled on 2 products. I decided on the Beautiful Curls line–it was fair trade, all natural, and contained Shea Butter (which I heard worked wonders on curly hair). I purchased the Curl Activating Leave In Conditioner and the Curl Activating Creme and tried them out that night.
Can we say best curls ever??? And without the use of gel, hairspray, or mousse. They were soft, defined and shiny—the holy grail of curl must haves. Compliments poured in the next day at work. Sold.
Here’s what I did:
- Applied the Curl Activating Leave In Conditioner in the shower
- After combing through the product once I got out the shower, I applied the Curl Activating Creme (I applied both rather generously)
- Towel dried hair with an old t-shirt (helps prevent frizz) and air dried the rest
- Once completely dry, I put my hair in a high bun to sleep
- Take down in the morning and you’re good to go!
Easy breezy. Style lasts for at least 3 days…any stragglers are touched up with a curling iron. I would definitely recommend this for thicker hair types—fine hair may find the products too heavy.
Any other recommendations??
As you might recall, I’ve been participating in Frizz Ease’s #downfor30 challenge and my days for the #downfor30 cause are now numbered. I confess, there were a few fleeting moments when the black elastic sitting on my desk got the best of me and my hair once again found itself in the all too familiar comfort of a ponytail.
But participating in the challenge forced me to not only embrace my natural (and ridiculously voluminous) ringlets, but to learn the best ways to style it, what products work, and how to maintain the look.
It’s a journey I encourage everyone to try and it’s not too late to take the Frizz Ease #downfor30 challenge. Simply snap a photo of you rocking your hair down, upload it to Instagram, and use the hashtags #downfor30 and #sweeps. Not only will you embark on a personal hair self discovery, but you’ll have a chance to win an awesome trip to NYC! For more details, go to www.neverpullback.com/down.
While I’ve been loving my curls, I wanted to do a smoother, straighter style, but still keep plenty of volume and body. I do a “Down Under Blowout” in just 3 steps:
- Start with freshly washed damp hair. Apply a light hair oil through out hair. I used Frizz Ease Nourishing Oil Elixir. It adds softness and moisture necessary for a smooth blow dry.
- Divide hair into smaller sections. Start with a small section and using a blowdryer with a nozzle on it and a round brush, blow dry the hair with the brush over the hair so that hair flips up. This gives you plenty of tension to easily straighten out even the kinkiest of curls.
- When section is basically dry, finish drying the hair using the brush underneath so that the hair curls under. This gives the hair a smooth finish. Repeat on all sections until done.
That’s it! Additional straight hair tips:
- Use a round brush with a mix of nylon and boar bristles
- Start with hair that’s not soaking wet to prevent drying out hair
- Sleep with hair in a high ponytail secured with a scrunch to preserve the style
- Use dry shampoo to extend the life of the blowout or try Frizz Ease’s 3 Day Straight Flat Iron Spray for a longer lasting straight style
Frizz-Ease believes that when you pull your hair back, you also pull yourself back. So we’re challenging women everywhere to take on the world hair-first and wear their hair #downfor30 days straight with the help their favorite Frizz-Ease products. Join the movement at NeverPullBack.com.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by KAO via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of KAO.