Nude lip of the day is M.A.C. Freckletone with a touch of pink gloss on top
If you haven’t found your perfect nude lipstick/gloss yet, get going because the trend isn’t going anywhere. At all. Anytime soon. As a matter of fact it’s a necessity to achieve this fall’s no-makeup-but-wearing-makeup look.
I tend to break the rules when it comes to picking out lipstick colors and just go with what works, but generally when looking for a nude lip color, I start with warm undertones and go from there. But for someone like myself with very yellow undertones and a deeper complexion, finding the right nude color that doesn’t make me look washed out can be difficult.
But not impossible.
I’ve rounded up my top 8 go to nude lipsticks/glosses that work well with a tan complexion (faux or natural).
- Maybelline Color Sensational The Buffs in Truffle Tease - A great budget beauty pick! It’s a medium beige creamy lipstick with warm and peach undertones
- American Apparel Lip Gloss in Topless- I actually think this gloss might be discontinued, but it’s one of my favorites. It’s a warm peach beige that looks great on everyone. American Apparel if your listening, bring this one back!
- NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss in Natural – A pinky brown gloss that’s loaded with shine
- M.A.C Lipstick Freckletone- A cult favorite for a reason. It’s the perfect warm beige color, with a moist and supple finish
- Yves Saint Laurent ROUGE PUR COUTURE Vernis Levres Glossy Stain Rebel Nudes 101 Nude Provocateur - It’s your lips only better with a slight deep pink stain. It leaves lips moisturized, with a long lasting 3D shine
- NARS Lipstick Honolulu Honey- You know you found a great lipstick when your husband tells you, “I like that lipstick”. It’s a matte peachy nude color that looks especially great on olive skin
- NYX Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee- A natural and pretty warm pink shade
- M.A.C. Lipstick Velvet Teddy - I think of it as Freckletone’s big sister. A “serious” deeper pink brown matte, but not dry, lipstick
Here’s a breakdown of some of the products I’ve been loving this past week (from top to bottom):
Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade, $18. For a product to fill in and shape my brows, I’ve always preferred a gel or powder consistency as I think they have the most natural looking results. My go-to for years was Laura Mercier’s brow gel, but I really like this Dipbrow Pomade. It stays on ALL DAY. My eyebrows look perfect from 7 AM to 6 PM. Apply with a light hand, because it’s so concentrated!
Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength Anti Aging Beta Face Peel, $82. If you can’t get a facial regularly, this is a great alternative. It’s strong enough to see brighter, smoother skin, but gentle enough to not cause any irritation.
Maybelline Color Sensational The Buffs, $5.59. Maybelline has a great collection of nude lipsticks for every skin tone. Truffle Tease is great for deeper skin tones.
Dolce & Gabbana Intenseyes Black Intensity Mascara, $32. I love this mascara—no clumps or flakes. Just thick beautiful lashes!
Royal Beauty Blender, $19.95. The beauty blender is my favorite way to apply foundation. I finally picked up another one in this really pretty purple color. I’ll take anything that reminds me of spring!
Spring has sprung and even though it snowed over here in Jersey just a few days ago, I’m already thinking about my spring wardrobe. Brighter colors, light jackets, and most importantly new spring makeup! In the warmer months, I like to put away my deep matte lip shades that I loved during the winter and trade them in for something sheer, moist, and just a hint of color.
Recently I got a chance to try Maybelline’s Color Whisper…the perfect winter to spring transition lip. It’s lighter than lipstick but has more color pigment than a gloss. Did I mention it’s super moisturizing? There’s a couple of ways you can rock this lighter lip look:
- Apply straight from the tube for a natural and fresh look, like I did in the photo below.
- For more definition and for added staying power, try applying a coordinating color liner first.
- To get a polished sexy pout, apply on top of your favorite lipstick for added shine
One coat gives just a “whisper” of color. By the way, doesn’t it look like I drew on fake beauty marks crooked? Swear it’s natural
After a few more layers, the color is more pigmented—shine is incredible!
I tried about 4 different shades and Made-It Mauve was my favorite. You can view all 20 shades, as well as enter the “Dare to Whisper” sweepstakes. Enter for a chance to win all 20 shades or even a chance to win $5,000!
Maybelline New York’s Color Whisper™ by Color Sensational® empowers you to make a statement in soft, sexy sheer color. Because sometimes a whisper says more than a shout. Dare to whisper for a chance to win fab prizes: http://www.maybelline.com/colorwhisper.aspx
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Maybelline via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Maybelline.
After scraping the tube edges of my Maybelline Volum’ Express the Falsies Flared mascara for about a week, I headed to CVS to re-stock. But of course, a quick trip into the beauty section is never quick. I noticed the stand for Maybelline’s new Volum’ Express the Mega Plush Mascara and paused for a few minutes. Gel-mousse mascara (what’s that? Sounds like I need it, right?), but it claimed to never leave lashes brittle or flaky. Sounds great to me!
Immediately I started making a mental check list of the pros and cons of trying out this intriguing new mascara. Love the Falsies–why not stick with what works? But if I loved the Volum’ Express line already, chances are I would like the Mega Plush, right?
In the end I remembered I’m a beauty blogger and it’s my sworn duty to experiment with new products—I take the oath quite seriously (or it’s just my excuse to by a ton of products)–and bought it.
The verdict:Love it! Delivers a lot of lashes (and long lashes) in each swipe. And as promised, no flaking. I can’t tell if I like it better than the Falsies, but it performs just as well. I’m sensing a lash off. At around $7, you can’t beat the price either!
Flexible mascara wand!
Extra tip I learned from my friend and makeup artist, Carie Brescia: For really dramatic lashes, after applying either the Falsies or the Mega Plus, follow up with a coat of Maybelline’s Illegal Lengths mascara.