Redken Creative Consultant Guido created a classic style for the design powerhouse Ralph Lauren’s Fall 2013 NYFW Show. For the decadent display “From Russia WIth Love” full of fur and velvet, Guido created sleek (but not totally perfect!) ponytails that worked with and without the hats in the collection.
Redken Products Used:
- satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion
- Guido applied Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion to damp hair and created a smooth blow dry.
- He then raked fingers through to “rough up” slightly to give the look more of an “ease” before attaching in a low ponytail and wrapping a small section of hair around the elastic.
“This style is luxurious but it has a little ease and softness to it. The ponytail is only part of the look for the models, as 90% of the girls are in hats. It’s very true the Ralph Lauren idea of a woman, the American idea of a classic beauty.”
-Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
Jeanie Syfu, the genius behind the hair of the Tracy Reese 2013 Fall New York Fashion Week Runway Show, gave us a moment of her time to talk about her approach for the styling for the show and where her inspiration came from. (Click on the image above to see our interview with Jeanie!)
Overall Look: A quintessential NY look, the hair combines side-swept texture with height at the crown.
Inspiration: A fearless New York girl walking home before dawn after a night out. The look has a modern style with retro roots.
- Lightly dampen hair and liberally apply TRESemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse throughout the roots and lengths of the hair for texture and volume.
- Flip head upside-down and rought dry with fingers (pulling at the root with fingers until the hair is 90% dry). Use a mason brush to continue drying upside-down by lifting at the roots and smoothing at the ends. TIP: Use your mason brush to lift the roots, but don’t smooth the roots- this will flatten the texture.
- Flip hair over when dry and create a “front sweep” by lightly brushing the hair from the front of the crown over to one side diagonally.
- Tease the crown of the head for lift. Finish with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray.
- Apply TRESemmé Fresh Start Color Care Dry Shampoo for texture and pull out pieces for a wispy/undone soft finish.
(image courtesy of Elle.com)
(image courtesy of bellasugar.com)
Hairstylist Guido breaks down his look for the Calvin Klein 2013 NYFW Fall Runway Show.
- He created a deep center part on damp hair and then used guts 10 root targeted spray foam focusing on the lengths.
- He then blow-dried the top very flat, and the back was left to dry naturally.
- Finish with forceful 23 super strength finishing spray.(Guido’s team blow-dried and then used curling irons to create slight bend given the hair couldn’t dry fully at the show.
Redken Products Used:
- forceful 23 super strength finishing spray
- guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam
“It’s blow-dried very flat on top, and the back is left naturally textured. The deep, clean part and sleek finish are military inspired, and overall it’s very true to the Calvin Klein identity.”
-Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
It is no secret that we adore the designer Pamella Roland so when I was asked to come backstage for her Fall 2013 NYFW Runway show, my response was “What time?”! We had a moment to hear Matin Maulawizada for Laura Mercier tell us about the look he created for Pamella’s Fall 2013 Show and where his inspiration came from. Matin, lead makeup artist for this season’s Pamella Roland show, was inspired by the designer’s collection, a visual narrative of the history of the Tzar and Russian Court. He developed a flawless makeup look that translated the simplicity of women’s beauty in tandem with the “opulence of St. Petersburg”.
Pamella always keeps her look so classy and simple, this goes for her hair and makeup too. Click on the image above to see the video.
To create the look:
Flawless Face- A fresh, “no makeup look” was key to balancing the collection’s bold accents
- First, Matin applied Laura Mercier Foundation Primer ($32) to create the perfect canvas for makeup application.
- Then, depending on the model’s complexion, he used Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Foundation ($50) or Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation ($43) to hydrate and protect the skin.
- Next, he used Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage ($30) to perfect the skin, concealing any problem areas.
- He applied Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder ($35) to set and finish the look.
- To give the skin a healthy color, Matin brushed Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Color in Blaze ($24) and Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek COlor in Sweet Mandarin ($24) onto the cheekbones.
- Matin then contoured the apples of the cheeks with the Bronzer Veil from Laura Mercier Bonne Mine Healthy Glow for Face and Cheeks Crème Colour Palette ($48).
Enchanting Eyes- Matin used varying shades of gold to highlight the eyes
- Matin gently brushed Laura Mercier Illuminating Eye Colour in Gilded Moonlight ($24) onto the eyelid.
- He then applied Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc in Golden Mosaic ($38) to the eyelids, leaving them gleaming with a warm, natural sheen.
- To complete the eyes, he swept on a coat of Laura Mercier Gold Mascara (created exclusively for the Pamella Roland show), to dramatically lengthen and define the lashes.
- Laura Mercier Eye Brow Pencil ($20) was applied to define the models’ eyebrows as needed.
Lustrous Lips- Deep wine lips created a modern look that “tied all the colors together”
- Matin applied Laura MErcier Lip Silk ($22) to the models’ lips to create a smooth and nourished base.
- He contoured and shaded the lips using Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Coffee Bean ($20).
- Adding the final touch, he applied Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Deep Wine ($20) to achieve a bold, modern look.