I’ve grown to really appreciate (dare I say love???) my curls now,but my curl routine could still use some help. My previous routine consisted of wash, condition, and add mousse—which initially does produce shiny bouncy curls. Only problem is that by the end of the day, my hair looked dry and curls fell flat.
So after what seemed like a whole afternoon of youtube browsing, I came across the channel of SunKissAlba…a gorgeous girl with gorgeous hair and a fun personality. After viewing about 2 years worth of videos in a couple of hours, I was pumped to try her way of doing curls—add moisture, then moisture, and more moisture.
With my new curl information fresh in my mind, I headed off to Whole Foods, straight to the beauty section. After standing in front of the hair care aisle for a good 45 min…looking at all the products, comparing the products, picking up 5-putting back 2 (my normal beauty product shopping routine) I settled on 2 products. I decided on the Beautiful Curls line–it was fair trade, all natural, and contained Shea Butter (which I heard worked wonders on curly hair). I purchased the Curl Activating Leave In Conditioner and the Curl Activating Creme and tried them out that night.
Can we say best curls ever??? And without the use of gel, hairspray, or mousse. They were soft, defined and shiny—the holy grail of curl must haves. Compliments poured in the next day at work. Sold.
Here’s what I did:
- Applied the Curl Activating Leave In Conditioner in the shower
- After combing through the product once I got out the shower, I applied the Curl Activating Creme (I applied both rather generously)
- Towel dried hair with an old t-shirt (helps prevent frizz) and air dried the rest
- Once completely dry, I put my hair in a high bun to sleep
- Take down in the morning and you’re good to go!
Easy breezy. Style lasts for at least 3 days…any stragglers are touched up with a curling iron. I would definitely recommend this for thicker hair types—fine hair may find the products too heavy.
Any other recommendations??
Summer time is officially in full swing! Staying true to the spirit of the season, my hair’s gotten lighter and my skirts and shorts shorter. Last summer came and went so fast with a new born baby that just managing to get a shower was the closest thing to “sexy”. So naturally, I have a lot of making up to do!
I’ve got happy hours al fresco, food and wine festivals, and most importantly a week down the shore coming up in the next couple of months. Throw in impromptu trips to the pool, and I need to be hair free and smooth on the fly.
That’s why I find it easier to wax in the summer. And I’m big on DIY waxing and have done it myself for years. If waxing on your own makes you nervous, I’m a fan of Veet Ready-To-Use Wax Strips and love how easy they are. There’s no heating involved or messy wax to ruin your carpet. Just rub a strip between your hands for a few seconds to warm the wax and peel apart. Use them anywhere—like arms, legs, and bikini area. That’s it —just once a month and you’re ready for the pool party this weekend and ahead of the game for drinks on Wednesday (Center City Sips anyone??) in your LBD.
Has anyone else tried waxing at home?
Veet® helps you feel smooth all summer long. There’s nothing like the feeling of freedom that summer brings. https://www.facebook.com/veet
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Reckitt Benckiser via MODE Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Reckitt Benckiser.
This was a post I did originally in 2012 for the Allure Beauty Blogger of the Year award, but it’s timeless information that I thought I’d share here!
We’ve probably all been there. You think your foundation is the perfect match until you see yourself in a photograph and the different color face and neck combo jumps out at you like a ghost (pun intended).
Fret not. Faster than you can untag yourself in that photo, you can learn how to find the perfect foundation.
- Know your skin’s undertones- Knowing is half the battle. Your undertone is the base color of your skin. Whether it’s warmer tones in yellow and olive or cooler colors in reds and pinks, knowing your skin’s undertones is the first step in picking the right foundation. Tip: Do you look better in gold or silver jewelry? Chances are if you look better in gold jewelry you’re warmer and if you look better in silver, you’re cooler.
- Pick a few shades to start with- find 3 or 4 different shades that you think may match your complexion.
- Color swatch- testing on your jaw, swatch (a test swipe of color) all shades next to each other.
- View in different lights- this is an important step most people forget. While a foundation might look perfect in fluorescent department store lightings, outside is a different story. Go outside and look in a mirror at your swatches. The color that blends seamlessly in your skin is the winner!
Blend, blend, and blend some more- Even the perfect foundation shade can look mask if it’s not blended in properly. Using your fingers, sponge or brush, blend your foundation into your hairline and into your neck. There should be no visible signs of the foundation stopping or starting. My favorite blending tool? The Beauty Blender!
LORAC just released the PRO Palette 2, the sequel to the popular PRO Palette 1. It contains 8 matte and 8 shimmer colors (not to mention a Mini Behind the Scenes Eye Primer) that are clutch the pearls gorgeous. I’ve been playing with this versatile palette for the past week and it has quickly become my new favorite. You can intermix the colors and textures to effortlessly go from day to night with vibrant colors and natural neutrals.
The color payoff is great and for only $42 (available now at Ulta.com), it’s a steal. It’s the perfect palette for travel because you can create any look desired on the fly.
Full Disclosure: Some of the products in this post were provided by the manufacturer for consideration. For more information on my disclosure policy, please see my disclaimer page