I’m back! For now at least A little hiatus was needed to prepare for the arrival of baby Rocco! All the sudden you turn around and you’re in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy. The month of May included my baby shower, a wedding, setting up the baby’s nursery (aka our bedroom), and remodeling the kitchen and family room. No problem, right?
After the panic wore off, I kicked it into gear and am happy to say at 39 weeks tomorrow, we are just about ready.
To top it all off, the third trimester had a few surprises in store for me. My feet and legs swelled up to Nutty Professor proportions, my fingers were too fat for rings, heart burn, weak bladder, and I moved up a size in maternity clothes. My cute little bump was more like an awkward watermelon and far from cute. But thankfully, there are some beauty tips and tricks that I used to distract from how I really felt:
- Contouring is your best friend. When your face is bloated and fuller than usual, a little contouring can go a long way. For a day, I use a bronzer along the sides of my face, underneath my cheek bones and along my jaw line. For a glam night out, I use a cream foundation stick about 4 shades darker than my normal skin tone to really make the cheek bones pop. Don’t forget to top off the cheek bones with highlighter! Try Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer, $51.00 and Iman Cosmetics Second to None Stick
Hubby and I (his personal drink rest) at a family wedding. Contouring and lashes were a must!
- Accessorize. If there is any time to try clip on extensions or false lashes. Pregnancy is a great time to do it. They are super easy ways to turn up sex appeal.
- Take advantage of the pregnancy ‘glow’. I haven’t had a break out on my face since my first trimester. I’m loving the clear skin I have right now and I’m saving my full coverage foundation for special occasions and using just a tinted moisturizer for day to day. My fav? NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, $42.
- Work with those growing nails and try a different nail shape. My nails grew faster than I could cut them, so instead of fighting it, I decided to shape them into a stiletto shape. Better to try it out before the baby arrives!
Most important tip? Don’t give up! But stay comfortable—the last 4 weeks will be the longest weeks ever!
Swollen feet? Nothing a fresh mani and bejeweled sandals won’t cure.
Fine lines, dark circles…under the eyes can be one of the most troublesome areas to camouflage on the face. Here’s a list of my favorite under eye concealers—for whatever eye concern you have!
1. Cle de Peau- at $70 it’s a splurge but it’s worth every penny. Not only does this creamy concealer cover flawlessly with one swipe, it doesn’t settle into fine lines and stays put all day. Though it’s pricey, it lasts forever!
2. Laura Merceir Secret Concealer- looking for a moisturizing conditioner that also covers dark circles? This is a great choice. $22
3. Benefit Cosmetics Erase Paste- this smooth blending concealer not only conceals the toughest of dark circles, but also brightens. $26
4. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer- this has become my go to day to day concealer. Not quite liquid and not quite a cream, this concealer instantly brightens the under eye area but also provides serious coverage. Also works as a highlighter. $28
Happy Friday! Here’s a roundup of some of the best of beauty this week.
First up is the perfect nude color nail polish from butterLondon called Shandy. You can’t ask for a more perfect peachy beige color that suits all skin tones. Add a single gold stud to each nail to spice up an otherwise neutral mani!
Hair winner of the week? Selena Gomez. She always looks fabulous on the red carpet, but the faux braid hawk she was rocking at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards on Sunday was gorgeous. The braid added the femininity and romance while the faux hawk added edginess.
It’s Chic Week at Sephora! Beauty Insiders can save 15% off all this week. Now is the time to stock up on some of your favorites or try out a pricier item you’ve been eyeing like I did (I purchased a Guerlain bronzer…deets on it in a later post). Ends Sunday 4/21 for Beauty Insiders and Monday 4/22 for VIBS.
Summer makeup should be effortless, but still beautiful. That’s why I love this look that Bobbi Brown created for the Holmes & Yang 2013 Spring fashion show. This nude look is the perfect compliment for the bold and bright colors of spring.
Products used to get the look:
Skin: Hydrating Face Cream ($52)
Eyes: Ballet Pink Long-Wear Cream Shadow ($24), Black Ink Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner ($22), No Smudge Mascara ($24)
Cheeks: Antigua Illuminating Bronzer ($36)
Lips: Bobbi Sheer Lip Color (Sheer Lip Color, Spring ’13, $24)
Rockstar Products: Black Ink Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner, Bobbi Sheer Lip Color
P.S. That hair is everything…perfect for hot summer days or nights.